Problems with the Overdevelopment
There are many problems with both the church's process and the rezoning application submitted to the District of Oak Bay.
This project must be rejected for the following reasons:
- There has been an inadequate public engagement progress. click here for an analysis by a professional planner of the sham consultation process.
- Density, size and scale are inappropriate for the neighbourhood
- Architectural style does not "fit" the neighbourhood
- Growth would far exceed Oak Bay's target in the OCP
- Site coverage far exceeds zoning bylaw
- Insufficient parking would be provided - click here for more details on parking
Further details will be provided as this web site progresses.
The land the church is located on is currently zoned P-2 (Special Institutional Use) and the church is proposing that it be rezoned CD (Comprehensive Development) which would be a blend of P-2 and RM-4 (Four Storey Multiple Dwelling Use). A major problem is that there isn't a CD Zone applicable to this development in the Oak Bay Bylaws. The only CD is CD-1 (Comprehensive Development Use – Waterfront Hotel Complex), which the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.
If the site is rezoned to a CD that reflects P-2 & RM-4, the proposed development WILL NOT comply in many respects. It is too big, too dense, too close to the property boundaries, the units are too small and there is insufficient parking.
For full details download OBUC Zoning Review
Example: how many parking spaces are they supposed to have for a development of this size under current P-2 & RM-4 zoning? 335. How many are they proposing? 115.